Friday, June 11, 2010

Sober Summer


This summer, I'm abstaining from alcohol. Of course, everyone wants to know why. I usually say "because I might be pregnant." This response is a.) apparently a valid answer and b.) it makes people question whether or not I'm joking.


You would think I'm going on a hunger strike or something by the way my friends are reacting. "Linds, I think you might need to break your drinking strike for the Lady Gaga concert," says my friend Sarah. First of all, no way, I'm going to be super sober for that concert because I need to make sure I don't miss any of her insane antics and costume changes. Secondly, would you really pressure a pregnant woman into drinking for a special occasion? Of course not. You would only judge me more than before for being unwed and irresponsible.

Then there are those who just throw it in my face. This is my mom on the phone the other day: "Guess what my beach week drink is this year? Sweet tea vodka!" That's only my favorite alcoholic beverage of all time. I introduced my entire family to Firefly and now they are just taunting me.
So the real reason I'm not drinking this summer is not because I'm pregnant, although I guess if I were this would be a healthy time to grow a baby. The reason is because Will can't drink this summer. We shared one last beer together in Italy and then when he was restricted by the Air Force, I went on sober summer vacation too. I'm not a crazy alcoholic anyway, so I really don't miss it as much as he does, but it is kind of fun to keep this small commitment in honor of him. Sometimes it would just be easier to partake in the poolside mojitos, the Fridays after five beers and the pre-concert tailgates. But Will is sacrificing so much more than a few beers this summer so the least I can do is meet him there. This is by no means a lifelong change. Our plan is to get smashed off one glass of wine when he gets back in the fall.

Keep the lemonade and diet cokes rolling. And if you need a DD, you know who to call:-)

No comments: