Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Skype Date!

Today was one of the more successful skype dates Will and I have had since he left. We usually get kicked off after losing the internet connection twenty minutes into the conversation without being able to reconnect. Today, our skype sessions lasted anywhere between 2:48 and 14:39 at a time, but we reconnected four times! This is huge.

In order for us to get access to the "fast" internet, Will has to take his laptop and webcam to public places like the "gym." Today's angle was a little different and I noticed that there were pool tables in the gym. Doesn't look like too many calories are being burned in this gym. I also love skyping because Will wears this headset so that everything I say is not blasted through the place for all to hear. He reminds me of the Sham Wow guy and I hang up hoping that the next great infomercial item will arrive at my doorstep in a few days. So far he has suppressed his urge to tell me what's in the mail and let me be surprised by gifts I would never suspect.

After three days in a row of flying, today is his day off. He may actually get to eat in the chow hall for lunch instead of throwing down bags of beef jerky and pita chips in the plane. Although, apparently there is a lettuce shortage so hamburgers are not all that they can be. The Afghan locals must be crushed. Hamburgers are their fav. Today marks three weeks of deployment and we are both holding up pretty well. It helps that we get to hear each other's voice every night and occasionally see each other on video too! Next Tuesday, the four week mark is also Will's birthday. I'm bummed that he will be spending it in the desert without me or any family around but I'm grateful that he will finally join me at 28 and stop giving me such a hard time for being the older woman!

No comments: