Thursday, April 2, 2009

I've been dabbling in cake decorating over the last few weeks, trying my hand at this delicious art form. I'm actually taking a class to help guide my creative genius and develop actual skills. As you can see, I am improving slowly but surely. Here are my cakes in chronological order.

These first two are "pre-class" cakes. I was just a bit giddy about starting and tried my amateur hand at decorating. Clearly, I needed help.

Now I've learned the star tip and shell border. This is my "Kroger-style" cake

Evan came over to the house for "Family Dinner" during UNC's road to the final four. He is a big Tarheel fan so I made him a special cake. Now let's get them to the championship!

This is one of Wilton's signature designs: the rainbow. It just so happened that my cake decorating class fell a day before Emily & Freddi's birthday so I made the cake for them. This may have been a poor decision on my part...now I'm obligated to make cakes for all my girls' birthdays!

So for Caryn's birthday, I stepped up my game and demonstrated the swirl flower technique. At this point, I can also make roses which you will see on Mom's birthday cake. But I have to say, so far, this is my favorite.



This last cake I made for one of the L&D nurse's daugther who is turning 5 this weekend. I've reached a new domain: cake decorating with candy!

No comments: