Friday, October 1, 2010

Welcome Home

As I write this, Captain William Andreotta aka "D-Rail" is on his way home to Sacile, Italy after his first deployment to Afghanistan. Everyone says it feels like it's gone by so quickly, but we have felt every long second of it. There have been worrisome days and terrorizing nights when I've lay awake wondering if I will see him again. It's heart wrenching. But then the call or the email comes and soothes my heart and we go on, one marble at a time. Today I know how lucky I really am. I know that there are soldiers who haven't come home and I can't imagine the pain their families feel. It's never far from my mind that Will survived in a place where American soldiers have given their lives. Today a burden has been lifted from my shoulders. The tightness in my chest is gone and I am elated that he is coming home.

As I fly over to Italy to welcome home the man of my dreams, I am excited for so many things. Of course I can't wait to jump into his arms. But I'm also grateful for so many little things, like the ability to return his call if I miss one. To leave him a voicemail. To know that he has water everyday and can shower anytime. To find out where and when our next assignment will be. To be able to say I love you every morning in person, not just in email. To have a glass of wine. To see all of the other pilots who will return with him. To know that when he does go back to work in a few weeks, that he won't be flying in a combat zone. To let him cook me dinner (he wants to, he loves to cook). To hold his hand. And to just be able to breathe without fear.

If you know someone who's loved one is deployed right now, hug them. They need all the support they can get until their soldiers come home. As for me, I'm going to pick mine up and spend the next two weeks on a European vacation! We made it and I'm so grateful for all the support you all gave me this summer while Will was away. It means more than you will ever know. Welcome home D-Rail.

Ciao.

No comments: